How to Look Really Old with Stage Makeup

How to Look Really Old with Stage Makeup

You wanna look old?  No!?

But it’s so fun!

Okay… I’ll be more specific.  Let’s put on Stage Makeup for old age.  I promise, it’s a lot of fun.

I totally freaked out my kids and husband.  The kids were watching me and saying how creepy I looked and asking me why I was doing this.  My eldest daughter wants me to do this for Halloween.  My youngest son said no to the creepy old lady face.  My husband jumped when I turned around.  So satisfying… I think.

[Tweet “I am about to learn how to look really old.”]

Let’s do this.

Materials needed:  Highlight, Shadow, brown eye liner, two small/medium flat brushes, and two wide flat brushes.

Not pictured: eyeliner and two wide brushes

Here I am.  Yes, that’s before the old lady makeup, you dirty rat.  This is me at the end of a long day, okay. So there!  Yes, I did stick out my tongue.  I pulled back my bangs and hair so I could get to work. You should too.

pre-makeup face

Picture Key:  White = Highlight  Black = Shadow

If you see a white arrow that is where you highlight.  If you see a black arrow that is where you shadow, etc.

We’ll start from the top of the face to the bottom.  It’s much easier this way, you won’t smudge your makeup as you work.   Also, start with the highlights first.  You put in the big area of highlights, then the shading.  Then you add the specific highlights in afterwards.  Don’t worry, I’ll walk you through it.

Forehead

First, we’ll age it with some basics.

aged forehead

Now we’ll add in some wrinkles.  To do this raise your eyebrows to wrinkle your forehead up.  Good.  Now, you draw a flat line in each wrinkle.  Now, let go of your eyebrows.  Go back with your shadow and draw the line a bit darker and then gently drag your shadow straight up.  Not a ton, just a little bit.  See the picture for clarity.  Then you’ll take your highlight and draw a very precise line just underneath the shadow.  It needs to be crisp.  Now, take a look and blend where needed.  Don’t blend your crisp highlight line.  Don’t freak out.  At first it looks like brown lines on your face… it’s okay.

Only do these wrinkles where you actually have them.  I am blessed with few forehead wrinkles.  I have two barely there ones.  I win!

forehead wrinkles

As you can see, I have also done wrinkles between my brows.  These are the ones that’ll turn ugly when I’m older.  Yikes!  Treat them the same way, except don’t blend the brown line.  Put a highlight line on the underside. If it’s pretty vertical, put it on the inside part of the line (the part closest to the other eye).

Eyes

The best part!

First, highlight lid. Then take your shadow and start from the corner of your eye and get that eye socket shape.  Remember you’re old, your eye is going to sink in a bit.  Then do the crease.  I naturally have a droopy lid – it will hang down when I’m an old lady, I’m sure.  This is why I have taken my shadow and drawn it down with the natural crease of my eye lid.  Add shadow at brow bone at a downward angle to get the droop effect.

Later I went back and put more shadow on my lid for it to be more sunken in.

eye 1

Now the eye bag.  Yay!  First, add shadow on your lower lid.  Then highlight underneath it. The actual bag area.  Then,  take your highlighter and outline the outside edge of the eye bag drawn a line.  Then take more highlighter and blend that line out.  It’ll look like a U.  Then take your shadow, draw the line just above the highlight line.  Blend up and in.  Make sure your bag is heavier at the corner and fades as it nears your eye.  It shouldn’t reach your outer eye.

eye 2

Last,  you take your brown eyeliner (or darker shadow) and draw a crisp line at the bottom of the bag (just above the highlight). Take your shading brush and blend slightly (upwards).   Add in wrinkles (where they naturally occur) at your eyes.  Crinkle your eyes to find them.  Draw in the shadow, then add a highlight underneath!  Easy!

eye 3

Nose

With old age your nose is bigger.  It’s unfortunate, but true.  I’m making my nose wider and my nostrils bigger.  To make wider you highlight down the nose, and the whole front portion of the nose.  To make nostrils bigger, you highlight those as well, all the way to the crease where you nose and cheeks meet.  Add shadow to the sides of your nose, draw a line right up next to the highlight and blend out to the cheeks into your foundation.  For the nostrils, follow the natural curve, but just outside the actual crease to enlarge them.

nose 1

Yikes!  What an angle!

Yikes! What an angle!

Cheeks

Start at your nostril, follow the large crease down (if it’s hard to find smile, then follow the crease) to your mouth.  In the first picture I have a brown line crossed out.  I didn’t like the way it looked so I just wiped it off and fixed it.  No sweat.  You can see it fixed in the second picture.  Draw the line and have it keep going past the mouth.  Your cheeks are going to hang real low as you get geriatric.  Blend that line out, it’s a bit thicker than the rest of your wrinkle lines.  Add a highlight inside, and then I added some to my whole cheek, blended carefully, no hard edge.

cheek 1

For an apple cheek – they’ll be nice and full.  Probably from all that cake I’ll be baking as a sweet ole granny.  Start at the nostril and sweep out and up.  Blend upwards.  Add highlight to the middle of the cheekbone and the surrounding cheek area.  You just want it more concentrated there.  Add a light coat underneath the shadow as well.  Add some blush to the apples of your cheek if you’d like.

cheek 2

Lips

In old age your lips become thinner.  Boo.  To do this is simple.  Put foundation or highlighter over your lips.  Then on your bottom lip add a natural lip color, but just inside your natural lip line.  On the top lip add a darker color also inside the lip line.   Add contouring with some shading and highlighting to the surrounding mouth area.

lips 1

Add wrinkles to your lips.  Done and done.

lips 2

Jaw

Add highlight in a scallop motion alongside your jawline (above the ridge).

jaw 1

Add triangles of highlight underneath your scallop.  Take your shadow and start at the top edge of the bottom highlight.  Is that confusing enough?  Make it a hard edge then blend the shadow up to meet the top scallop.  You don’t want a hard edge where those two meet.

jaw 2

Before, During, and After

Now, go back and touch up anything you’d like.  Your face may not be perfectly symmetrical, don’t worry about it.  Remember, this is stage makeup.  It’s best seen at a far distance, not right up close.  It’ll still look pretty dang sweet though.

before and after old

Meet Granny Rochelle!

final

If you liked this post, please consider tweeting about it.

[Tweet “I can make myself look old now!”]

[Tweet “I might look as good as @rochelle_barlow does old, what do you think?”]

What stage makeup tutorial would you like next?

To stay up to date:

* = required field

48 Comments

1. This is so great! Maybe I’ll dress up as the wicked step mother from Snow White for Halloween! It’s fascinating to read each step and see how it all comes together! It looks great!

• Oh, I’d love to see you dressed up! If you do, promise you’ll show me the picture!

2. That is CRAZY! I’m so impressed! (But don’t call me a dirty rat ever again!!! LOL)

Kristen from The Road to Domestication

3. oh my goodness look at that transformation! I so want you to do my Halloween makeup. I love your detailed instructions. Maybe my daughter might let me do it to her. :)

• My daughter was going to let me until she saw my finished face. Now she keeps reminding me that I can’t make her look like a creepy old lady.

4. Nice job! That’s so funny! :)

• Thank you so much Erin.

5. Wow! I don’t think I have seen such a fun blog post in a while! Incredible! You did a great job. I don’t know if I have the patience to do that! LOL

• Thanks Carri, it was fun to do. I snuck up on my son to scare him. It was awesome. It really doesn’t take long to do the makeup. Plus it’s so much fun to watch yourself transform, that it doesn’t feel like a chore.

6. Neat! Looks like fun!

• It really is a lot of fun!

7. Woah woah lady , it’s sooper awesome.
    Noor @ Noor’s Place

• Thanks Noor! You’re hilarious.

8. Yep, this looks about right. Given my height and my voice type, I’m always cast as the old lady. You’ve done an excellent job here!

• I’d love to know what kind of stuff you do! There’s so many different ways to make yourself look old, it’d be fun to be a different one each time.

9. This is so cool! I think you look fabulous young and old. I’d like to see your granny smile though!

• I did take a pic of me smiling and doing a goofy face, but I thought the post was already picture heavy so I left them out. Next time I’ll throw one in just for you!

10. Oh my goodness! This is such an awesome post. I love your twitter share links too–cracked me up! :D

11. Great post but you ended up looking like me.

• Ha ha ha ha! I doubt that.

12. Wow Rochelle, that’s really cool! My nephew use to act a lot and they had him looking like an old man numerous times and I always thought that was so neat looking. Never knew what was involved in doing this but now I know.

Thanks for taking us through this step by step.

~Adrienne

• Thanks Adrienne. Now you can show up to his plays matching! You might get a few strange looks, but it’d be fun.

13. That is pretty freaking cool! I also love the Tweet it buttons within the post! I would LOVE to know how to do that! lol

• The tweet things are pretty fun huh! I have a tutorial post planned for that, so stay tuned!

• Awesome! I will be on the look out.

14. That’s really awesome! I didn’t read all the details of how to do it, but I loved all the pictures! I’m going to share with some of my theater friends! Can you do a post now on how to do the reverse! :-)

• Thanks for sharing. Wouldn’t that be nice if we could do the reverse just as easily!

15. Quite a transformation… LOL… I love it! This could come in handy around Halloween. :)
    ~Lorelai

• oh yeah! Get excited, by the time Halloween rolls around you’ll be an expert!

16. This is super creepy! You should go out in public like this someday and blog about the reactions you get!

• Oh my gosh! That’d be hilarious! I’d have to be super brave to do that. If I do it, I’ll let you know how it went, or if I got arrested for being a creeper.

17. Amazing! I used to be involved in theater. The make-up was half the fun!

• amen! That is my favorite part, getting into character.

18. This is actually incredible. I would never have the patience to do it but WOW you look realistic! Haha.

• It actually doesn’t take that long. The thing that made it longer was stopping to take pics.

• Thank you Trina!

19. Wow! That is so cool! My sister watches that show – Face Off – and sometimes I catch a glimpse of the amazing things they are doing on there with stage make-up and effects. It is so wild to see the transformations. Your so talented!

• I love seeing the things they can do on the show. It’s fun to make those transformations! Stay tuned and you’ll learn how to do some of them.

20. Woah! That is awesome. I played and old woman in a play in high school but my makeup didn’t look nearly that good! :)

• That’s awesome. I bet that was a lot of fun to do!

21. oh I will Kristen! Ha ha ha

22. Thank you for your tutorial! I used it for our production of The Trip To Bountiful to make myself into an 80ish year old woman. It was invaluable. You are very talented!

• That’s awesome! I’m so glad it worked out for you. Thank you for coming back and letting me know it helped you out!

23. Hei, that’s very good! Nice job.
    Btw, I need these steps for my theatre project.
    But I don’t mean to make the character as old as you show here.
    So, do you have any suggests?
    Thanks before :) (y)

24. This was so very helpful! I am playing “Yente the Matchmaker” in a production of “Fiddler on the Roof” and I plan to use this tutorial as a guide to appear older. Was the highlight and shadow that you used powder or cream? Thank you so much!
    (PS. LOVE that you homeschool, I was homeschooled for all 12 years of my education and I definitely plan to do the same with my kids someday, God willing!)

25. I loved your tutorial. Obviously I am a man. My daughter is playing a mid-seventy old lady in a play and I was wondering about the color foundation you used as well as the shadow and highlight colors. Also, what brushes do you use for each area. They have Ben Nye kits for me to use. Whatever help you can give me I would appreciate it. This is my daughters first play and I would like to do a good job for her. She is 15 years old. Thank you very much.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. How To Do Your Makeup And Look Older | Home - […] How to Look Really Old with Stage Makeup – Home – Rochelle Barlow – You wanna look old? No!? …
  2. How To Do Your Makeup To Make You Look Older « makeuppeople.com - […] How to Look Really Old with Stage Makeup – Home – Rochelle Barlow – Now you can look really …

Submit a Comment